Turin palaces Print E-mail this page to a friend
Turin Palaces Index
Palazzo Madama
Palazzo Reale
Palazzo Chiablese
Palazzo Carignano
Mole Antonelliana
Village and Medieval Castle
Palazzo Bricherasio
Palazzo Benso di Cavour
Palazzo Falletti di Barolo
Villa della Regina
Palazzo Saluzzo Paesana
Castello del Valentino
Palazzo Cisterna
Palazzo Lascaris
Casa Romagnano
Palazzo Birago di Borgaro
Palazzo Asinari di San Marzano
Palazzo del Senato Sabaudo
Palazzo di Città
Palazzo dell´Università
Palazzo Solaro del Borgo
Cavallerizza Reale
Villa Abegg
Villa Paradiso
Mastio della Cittadella
Castello degli Acaia
Il Lingotto
Palazzina di caccia di Stupinigi

Palazzo Reale


Begun in 1646 by the royal madam Christine of France to substitute the old palazzo del Vescovo, it keeps intact the façade by Carlo Morello (1658). The building made in a square plan, with internal courtyard, was residence of the kings of Sardinia until 1859 and of Vittorio Emanuele II, king of Italy, until 1865.

The decorations and interior furniture testify the passing of numerous artists that worked there from the 17th to the 19th century.
Going up the monumental staircase by Domenico Ferri (1864-1865) decorated by paintings and 18th century statues, with the only exception of the monument to Vittorio Amedeo I, you reach the first floor, where the tour begins.

Palazzo Reale
Palazzo Reale

In the vast Salone degli Svizzeri, with frieze of the brothers Antonio and Gian Francesco Fea (1558-1561) portraying the Fasts of the Saxon descent of Vitichindo, from whom the Savoy house would descent, painting of the roof by Carlo Bellosio (1842) and great Emanuele Filiberto in the battle of San Quintino (1557) by Palma the Young, there are the Gallery of the Holy Shroud, with access to the chapel, the Gallery of the Battles, the staircase of the Scissors, a genial creation by Filippo Juvarra (1720) and the sequence of the representative rooms.

The first is the room of the Cuirassiers or of the Dignities, where there are two tapestries with Elements, of the manufacture of Beauvais (about 1695). This is followed by the room of the Footmen or of the Virtues, represented in the frieze and in the painting made by Charles-Claude Dauphin ant the centre of the roof incised and golden, while on the walls there are the tapestries of the series of Don Quixote of the manufacture of Gobelins (1746-1747); the room of the Pageboys or of the Victories, with paintings and decorations of the 17th century.

Then you pass in the majestic room of the Throne, with golden incisions of different ages, a Peace Allegory (1662) by Jan Miel in the vault and a fine inlaid floor. The room of the Audiences and the one of the Council keep their 16th century roofs, while the furniture and the decorations were made thanks to the interventions of Pelagio Pelagi, directed by Carlo Alberto.

The Chinese Private Room is remarkable, covered of original lakes on a project by Juvarra, with fresco by Claudio Francesco di Beaumont. Passed the bedroom of Carlo Alberto, with piece by Defendente Ferrari and the "pray God" of Carlo Alberto, with precious incisions by Luigi Prinotto (1732) and Pietro Piffetti, you reach the Breakfast room, with room and frieze of the 16th century and a fine incised firescreen by Giuseppe Maria Bonzanigo, on which it opens the alcove with and octagonal plan.

The Daniel Gallery, with which Carlo Emanuele Lanfranchi completed, under Vittorio Amedeo II, the east wing, takes its name from Daniel Seyter, who painted in the vault the Apotheosis of Vittorio Amedeo II (1688-1692).
After this there are the rooms of the Queen's apartment: the bedroom, with roof by Seyter, the work chamber, the Toilet Private Room, with two pieces of furniture by Piffetti (1731-1733), the "pray God", the room of the Ladies-in-waiting, the room of the Machine and the private chapel of the Queen, decorated on a drawing by Benedetto Alfieri (1739).

From the Private Room of the miniatures, called in this way from the collection of the Savoy characters miniaturised (17th and 19th century), you pass in the Dining Room, with tapestries of the Turin manufacture, and in the Coffee Room, decorated on a drawing by Lanfranchi (1685-1690). In the magnificent Alcove Room, which keeps the 16th century golden incisions, it is situated a part of the collection of Carlo Alberto of Japanese and Chinese vases (1750-1850).

This is followed by the Queen's throne room, with marble ovals (1739) and in the vault the Triumph of the Graces, and the Ball room, with columns in white marble, realised, unifying two rooms, by the Palagi, who also made the Olympus of the roof. On the second floor there are other apartments of the Savoy dukes and of the dukes of Aoste, with decorations and furniture of the 17th-19th centuries, that can be seen in particular occasions.

Information:
Address: Piazzetta Reale 1
Telephone number: 011.436.14.55
Fax: 011.436.15.57
Internet website: http://www.beniarchitettonicipiemonte.it/reale.htm
E-mail:
Calculate the route