Turin churches Print E-mail this page to a friend
Turin Churches Index
Cathedral of S. Giovanni
Church of S. Lorenzo
Church of S. Domenico
Church of the Carmine
Church of the SS. Ausiliatrice
Sanctuary of the Consolata
Church of the SS. Martiri
Chapel of the Pious Congregation
Church of the Corpus Domini
Church of the SS. Trinitŕ
Church of S. Maria del Monte
Basilica of Superga
Church of S. Filippo Neri
Church of the Gran Madre
Church of S. Cristina
Church of S. Carlo
Church of S. Teresa
Church of S. Dalmazzo
Church of S. Tommaso
Church of S. Agostino
Church of S. Massimo
Church of S. Chiara
Church of S.Francesco
Church of S.Francesco da Paola
Church of the Visitazione
Valdese Temple
Israelitic Temple

Sanctuary of the Consolata

The sanctuary, located near the city centre is an obligatory stop, with the entrance in the little square with the same name.

The original church is documented ever since the 10th century; consecrated to Sant'Andrea, it gave hospitality to the monks escaped from the abbey of Novalesa due to the lack of safety.

Sanctuary of the Consolata
Sanctuary of the Consolata

Around the year 1000 the monks enlarged the Turinese priorate making use of the work of the monk-builder Brunigo, to whom is also attributed, in the 11th century, the construction of the bell tower.

Realized in bare bricks, the bell tower is articulated in seven levels, stressed by fillets of hanging little arches of two ashlars grouped in series, divided in the lower levels by a pilaster of semicircular section; going up, the structure is enlightened both from the reduction of the brickworks thickness and by the progressive increasing of the openings.

The worship of Maria Consolatrice affirms itself since the end of the 16th century; its actual icon has been traced back to the patronage of the cardinal Domenico della Rovere.

Since 1678 the church began to assume the actual shapes and plant: Guarino Guarini transformed the nave of the ancient Sant'Andrea into the present elliptical entrance hall, while the sanctuary for the Marian icon was created in a new hexagonal chapel on the northern side, concluded by Antonio Bertola in 1703.

The new axiality of the project made by Guarini was confirmed by a further elliptical chapel, added by Filippo Juvarra in order to host a new high altar with the Eucharistic tabernacle and the venerated Marian icon (1729).

The actual aspect of the sanctuary is due to the interventions realized in the 1830s and in the beginning of the 20th century: the re-moulding of the crypt of the Madonna delle Grazie, pronaos on the little square on the south, opened in 1846 and restoration in 1885 directed by G.B. Ferrante.

Also to mention the complex intervention realized by Carlo Ceppi (1898-1904), which crowns the sanctuary with elliptical chapels in a neo-baroque shape, after having demolished the perimetral parts of the plan made by Guarini.

Information:
Address: Piazza della Consolata
Telephone number: 011.43.63.235
Calculate the route